7/19/2004

I Have a 'Special Interest' in 'Girlie Men'

I tend to lean a little more to the left than to the right (okay, I’m a lefty—physically and politically), but even I am saying take it easy on California Governor Schwarzenegger.

The Governator was speaking in Ontario the other day. During a speech on the State budget, Arnie called Democrats “girlie men” because they are dragging their feet on passing the Governor’s budget. He also said, “If they don’t have the guts to come up here in front of you and say, ‘I don’t want to represent you, I want to represent special interests, the unions, the trial lawyers.”

Democrats are saying the “girlie men” remark was sexist and homophobic. Now it could be said that (since he is implying that Democrats are being spineless by saying they are girlie) he is calling women spineless, but I don’t think that is what he meant. If he did mean it that way, he should be called sexist! But he is just using an old Saturday Night Live sketch where the characters Hanz and Franz would dress and act like Arnold then call wimpy guys “girlie men”.

The statement that Democrats should be mad about is Arnie saying they “represent special interests and trial lawyers.”

I’ll take being called a girlie man over a special interest representative any day.




No comments: