8/03/2004

Don't EXPECT Anything From This Review!

MY REVIEW OF "THE VILLAGE"

Expectations. It's what most of us have going into a big, widely talked about, movie. Especially a movie that is made by writer/director M. Night Shyamalan. Just in case you don't know, he is the filmmaker behind Sixth Sense, Unbreakable (underrated movie!) and Signs.

I luckily went into this movie with little expectations and came out entertained. The Village didn't go where I expected it to go but that is what happens with a M. Night movie. That is his shtick. Take you through a few twists and turns, all the while leaving a trail of bread crumbs for the audience to follow that eventually leads to the climatic ending.

The ending I found satisfying but many around me didn't. Not because it was bad necessarily, but because they 'expected' something else. Expected it to be scarier or for a certain character to be or do a certain thing (It's hard to talk about a movie like this without giving plot points away. At least for a hack writer like myself).

At one point I did become disappointed in the film. It started to feel like a well written Scooby-Doo episode only without all the "zoinks" and scooby snacks. But another one of M. Night's twists came along and got me back on track.

After it all, I found the movie to be well written, flawlessly acted, beautifully shot and worth the money. If you like character driven films that play with your movie thought process, go see this film. But if you go into movies expecting one thing and getting annoyed when it doesn't materialize, then don't go.

I expect nothing less.

No comments: